Number of members: 11
Chair: Councillor Lillian Jones
Vice-Chair: Councillor David Richardson
Governance and Scrutiny Committee
This committee has overall responsibility for scrutiny and review within East Ayrshire Council and is primarily concerned with monitoring the performance of the Cabinet; Departments and third party organisations against service delivery and financial targets. It is also responsible for dealing with Cabinet decisions that have been called in. Areas of responsibility will include:
Corporate Governance Function
1. To oversee the Council’s Corporate Governance arrangements which shall include:-
- the continual review and development of the Council’s Local Code of Corporate Governance, ensuring that the Council’s Code is consistent with the principles and reflects the requirements of the CIPFA/SOLACE framework for Corporate Governance in Local Government covering the broad themes of community focus; structures and processes; risk management and internal control; service delivery; and standards of conduct
- ensuring the adequacy and effectiveness of the Council’s local systems, processes and documentation identified within the Council’s Local Code of Corporate Governance including compliance with audit committee principles
- approval of the Council’s annual Corporate Governance Implementation Plan
2. To monitor and review the efficiency and effectiveness of all of the Council’s work and the levels and standards of services provided.
Standards of Conduct Function
3. To provide advice to Members in respect of standards of conduct and compliance with the Councillors’ Code of Conduct introduced under the Ethical Standards and Public Life Etc (Scotland) Act 2000.
4. To develop and adopt formal codes of conduct defining the standards of personal behaviour to which individual Members, Officers and Agents of the Council are required to subscribe.
5. To provide advice to Council in respect of Members' Allowances.
Performance Review and Best Value Function
6. Oversee the implementation corporately of the Council’s approach to fulfilling its duty to make arrangements to secure best value.
7. Keep under review the Council’s approach to and outcomes in relation to continuous improvement in the delivery of Council services.
8. Keep under review the Council’s approach to Public Performance Reporting.
9. Determine matters in relation to submission to the Scottish Executive and the Accounts Commission in furtherance of the Council’s duty to make arrangements to secure best value.
Audit and Risk Function
10. Approval and review of operational and strategic internal audit plans.
11. To ensure that the Internal Audit function is properly resourced and has appropriate standing within the Council.
12. To review the activities of the Internal Audit function including but not limited to the East Ayrshire Council Internal Audit Annual Report including the Annual Internal Audit Opinion.
13. To maintain an overview of the adequacy of the internal control systems.
14. To review external audit plans for East Ayrshire Council and to manage all aspects of the Council’s relationships with its External Auditors.
15. Review of the annual audit certificate and the Annual Report to Members by the External Auditor.
16. Monitor and review of implementation of audit recommendations.
17. Ensuring the existence of and compliance with an appropriate corporate risk management strategy.
18. To co-ordinate and manage scrutiny processes on behalf of the Council.
19. To establish Scrutiny Groups as required and to determine and review their remit as required.
20. To carry out scrutiny of Cabinet policy decisions and service delivery including the review and monitoring on a continuous basis of spending levels in relation to departmental budgets.
21. Consideration of performance reports at pre-determined intervals and submission of appropriate recommendations to Cabinet and/or Council as appropriate.
22. To prepare a programme of policy reviews and order of priority.
23. Submit periodical reports on the Committee’s activities to Council.