East Ayrshire Council gathers and processes information about you so that services you request can be delivered effectively and efficiently. The following Privacy Statement details how we will look after your information.
Requesting personal information
When the council asks you for information we will:
- make sure you know why we need it and ask for only what is needed
- protect your personal information and make sure nobody has access to it who shouldn’t
- take proportionate steps to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information
- we may check information you have provided, or information about you that someone else has provided, with other information held by us.
- we manage all information in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and may pass information to any third parties responsible for the services your enquiry relates to. Such third party organisations may include our Community Planning partners, contracted service providers, national agencies and relevant funding organisations.
- inform you if we share it with any other organisations unless the law allows us to share it without consent
- ensure we do not keep your personal information for longer than is necessary
- not make your personal information available for commercial use without your permission
On occasions we may pass information to other agencies or organisations such as the Department for Work and Pensions or HM Revenues and Customs, as allowed by law. We may check information you have provided, or information about you that someone else has provided, with other information held by us.
We may also obtain information about you from certain third parties, or give them information to:
- prevent or detect crime
- prevent or detect fraud
- protect public funds
- make sure the information is correct
These third parties include government departments, local authorities and private sector companies, including companies that assist us in fraud detection and prevention such as Credit Reference Agencies.
Any use of personal data will be in full accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. We will not give information about you to anyone else, or use information about you for other purposes, unless the law allows us to.
Providing personal information
It is expected when providing personal information that you:
- provide us with accurate information
- Inform us as soon as possible if there are any changes to your personal information
This will ensure that your personal information is reliable and kept up to date.
East Ayrshire Council is required by law to protect the public funds it administers. It may share information provided to it with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds, in order to prevent and detect fraud. Further information on the National Fraud Initiative can be found at: National Fraud Initiative
Your information rights
When receiving personal information from you, the council will comply with the Data Protection Act 1998. Further information may be found on our web page or for independent advice about data protection, privacy and data sharing issues you can visit the Information Commissioner's website or contact the Scottish Information Commissioner’s Office:
Information Commissioner’s Office Scotland
45 Melville Street
Telephone: 0131 244 9001
Changes to this privacy notice
We will keep our privacy notice under regular review. This notice was last updated on the 14 March 2016.
Further information :