Skip to content

Householder applications and for “not for profit” community organisations and registered charities

We provide a pre-application advice service for householder proposals and for proposals by not for profit community organisations and registered charities. Further information can be found on our pre-application guidance (PDF 1.8Mb) and pre-application enquiry forms (PDF 400kb) should you wish to make a request for pre- application advice. The completed form should be returned to with all other supporting information.

This is not a chargeable service

This service can be used for obtaining advice and guidance on the merits of your proposals where you wish our informal advice prior to submitting an application for planning permission.

Advisory note: Householder proposals refers to proposals by householders to extend or improve their homes such as garages, extensions and decking etc although this list is not exhaustive. Local Developments refer to any other proposals and can include residential development proposals for one house or more), changes of use, signage proposals, commercial, business and agricultural although again this list of examples is not exhaustive. Major Developments refer to any type of development which meet the thresholds specified in The Town and Country Planning (Hierarchy of Developments)(Scotland) Regulations 2009.

Certain works to houses and flatted properties can be 'permitted development' which means that the works would not require planning permission.
Further information can be found on the Scottish Government website and an easy read guide for householders can be viewed on the Scottish Government website. 

The Planning Service cannot advise you in writing when a proposal is permitted development thus not requiring planning permission, as the Certificate of Lawfulness application is the appropriate route to clarify this, but we can advise you of the different classes of permitted development so you can establish for yourself/your client (if you are an agent) should you not wish to apply for a Certificate of Lawfulness from the ePlanning website.

Non householder applications

We also provide a pre-application advice service for non-householder proposals. Again, further information can be found on our pre-application guidance (PDF 1.8Mb) and pre-application enquiry forms (PDF 400kb) should you wish to make a request for pre-application advice. The completed form should be returned to with all supporting information and your fee. You can pay by card by contacting us on 01563 576790.

This is a chargeable service

The fee for a non-householder pre-application costs as follows:

  • Local applications: half the planning application fee for the proposal up to a maximum of £500 for any Local Application. 
  • Major applications: half the planning application fee for the proposal up to a maximum of £800, unless where in the case of residential developments the proposal is for 100 or more units in which case the fee will be £1,500.
    (Note: The chargeable pre application advice service does not replace the requirement to pay a statutory planning application fee should you choose to submit an planning or
    related application.)

Benefits of pre-application

The benefits of pre-application advice include:

  • It gives you the opportunity to understand how policies and guidance will be applied to your development proposal this includes the requirements for developer contributions for certain applications
  • It can identify at an early stage where there is a need for specialist input, for example contamination, transport, ecology, etc.
  • It may flag up that the proposal is unacceptable which could save the cost of submitting a formal application
  • It may lead to a reduction in time dealing with the formal application
  • Advice we will provide:
    • An assessment of the planning merits of a proposal
    • How the proposal relates to key local plan policies and guidance
    • Details of submission requirements
    • Advice on the likely timescale for completing the planning process
    • An outline of the material planning issues

Please be aware that pre-application advice will be made at officer level only and cannot guarantee whether an application will ultimately be successful.  We will not seek input from external stakeholders (for example, Scottish Environment Protection Agency, Scottish Natural Heritage) at this stage, however we will identify any relevant agencies where we think it would be beneficial for you to make contact.  We will also identify internal stakeholders to you as well.

Permitted development

If you are trying to find out if a proposal requires planning permission then you should complete a Certificate of Lawfulness application.   Forms and guidance notes can be downloaded at the website.

Further advice on the need for planning permission can be found on our planning permission page. 

Further information

Further information on what to submit with your enquiry, our timescales for our response are in our pre-application guidance (PDF 1.8Mb) and enquiry forms. (PDF 400kb)

As above, all pre-application enquiries for advice that are not for householders to do works to their homes, or where the works are by registered charities or not for profit organisations, are chargeable.

Contact Information

Planning and Building Standards
Opera House
8 John Finnie Street
Telephone: 01563 576790