You have a silver bin - intended for internal kitchen use - and a larger green bin - for external use, for the collection of food waste.
Your external green food waste bin is collected every week from the kerbside along with your red box (plastics). You can lock your green bin by securing the handle in the upright position.
To find out your collection day each week, view your recycling calendar.
Your collection day may change as the recycling trolley collection service is introduced during 2018. To find out more about this service visit the recycling trolley and frequently asked questions pages.
When you need replacement liners you should tie a liner to the handle of the green bin when your supply is beginning to run low and the crew will place a new roll in the caddy once emptied. Alternatively you can collect liners from the following offices:
- Customer Service Centres - Cumnock, Galston, and Stewarton
- Waste Management Services Office - Western Road Kilmarnock
If your food liners temporarily run out, simply line your containers with newspaper and then fill as normal. Please do not use carrier bags or non-biodegradable plastic bags to collect food waste. Alternatively supermarkets also sell biodegradable food liners.
Filled kitchen liners/wrapped food waste from your small silver bin should be transferred to the external green bin. You should only place the green external food waste bin at the kerbside for collection.
You should not place food waste loose in your food bin.
Food waste that we will collect
- leftovers from meals
- meat - cooked and raw, including fat, skin and bones
- fish - cooked and raw, including bones, skin and shells
- eggs - including shells
- fruit and vegetables - cooked and raw, including cores and peelings
- breads, cakes, pastries, biscuits
- rice, pasta and beans
- tea bags, coffee grounds
- cooking oil, lard and other fats (please allow to cool before transferring)
- tinned and dried pet foods
Please do not place containers in your food bins. If you find an out of date yogurt pot in your fridge, empty the contents into your food bin and place the container in your red box for recycling.
Not to be placed in food waste bin
- food packaging - cardboard, plastic wrappings, tins
- liquids such as juices
- garden waste
- straw or other animal bedding products