Skip to content

What is the Psychological Service?

The Psychological Service is a statutory service of the Education Service, providing advice and support to the schools in East Ayrshire, for all children and young people from 0-19 years of age (19-24 consultation provision).

What is an Educational Psychologist and what do they do?

An Educational Psychologist (EP) is concerned with children's learning and development, with difficulties that can arise at school, and with methods of helping such difficulties.

EPs in East Ayrshire work with children and young people in early childhood centres, primary, secondary and special school provision. They may work with children with learning difficulties, sensory and physical impairments, social and emotional difficulties, and communication difficulties.

Most of their work is done in partnership with parents, schools and other agencies, such as speech and language therapists, school doctors and social workers.

EPs have an important role, alongside others, in assessing educational needs, planning supports and monitoring progress.

What else do EPs do?

  • provide consultation and advice to parents, carers, teachers and other agencies
  • assist schools and other establishments in the evaluation of policies, strategies and interventions
  • assist East Ayrshire in the provision and planning for additional support needs
  • experienced in offering a wide range of training to schools, parents, and other professional groups, on educational and developmental issues

How does an EP become involved?

All East Ayrshire education establishments have a system in place to monitor and review the progress of children and young people. EPs are part of this system and visit schools on a regular basis. During these visits school staff may discuss any general concerns or issues they have regarding particular children. If these concerns persist the school will contact you for your approval for a formal referral of your son/daughter to the EP. No direct assessment work will be undertaken with a child/young person without parental permission.

What happens next?

Psychologists will look collaboratively at the assessment information gathered by schools, and sometimes use direct assessment with the child. The assessment would focus on building a picture of your child’s strengths and areas for development. Parental input is most important, as you will know your child best. Any information you can give the EP when they are working with you and your child is valuable. The success of any approach will depend on your ideas of how to put suggestions into practice. EPs may be involved in meetings at school or they may ask to visit you at home.

Following a formal referral a file is opened in your son/daughter’s name to ensure that all information is kept in a safe place. This is separate from your child’s school or medical records. As with other educational records, however, you have access to the written information which is directly concerned with your child’s education.

How do I get in contact?

Direct referrals are usually made through your child’s school with your approval.

Each psychologist is responsible for providing a service to a group of educational establishments. Initial contact can be made by discussing concerns with headteachers. However, if you have any queries about Psychological Services please contact us.

Other information

Psychological Services help and advice for children and young people

Contact Information


Psychological Services
St Joseph’s Academy
Grassyards Road
Telephone: 07500 913 493
Telephone: 07500 912 741
Telephone: 07985 394 638