This section helps to explain how a stillbirth is registered.

Where can a stillbirth be registered?

If the stillbirth occurred in Scotland it may be registered in any of our registration offices.

Do I need an appointment?

Yes, all registration offices in East Ayrshire operate an appointment system. Please contact us.

Who can register a stillbirth?

If the parents are married to each other, the mother or the father can register. If the parents are unmarried, then the mother must be present at the registration. However, if the father acknowledges paternity and wishes his name to be on the entry, he must also attend the registration.

How soon do I need to register?

You must register within 21 days, although the Registrar may allow a little longer in certain circumstances.

What documents do I need? 

If you are married to the baby's father, you need to bring your marriage certificate. You will also need to bring with you the certificate of stillbirth given to you by the doctor or midwife.

How much does it cost?

The registration is free.

Can I record the name of the baby at registration? 

Yes. You can record the name of the baby at registration, but only if you want to. You must ask the Registrar to do so.

Can I get a copy of the stillbirth certificate?

You must ask the Registrar to seek permission from the Registrar General before an extract can be given to you. Permission is usually given if a parent asks. If the request is made within one month of registration, the extract is free.

After the registration the Registrar will give you Form 8 - a certificate of registration of stillbirth. This form must be given to the Funeral Director dealing with the funeral arrangements.

Contact Information


Registration Services
Burns Monument Centre
Kay Park, Kilmarnock
Telephone: 01563 576695
Telephone: 01563 576696