What is Mauchline CARS?
Mauchline Conservation Area Regeneration Scheme, (CARS) is a heritage led regeneration scheme for Mauchline which will run until March 2025.
The scheme is funded by Historic Environment Scotland and East Ayrshire Council and will provide property owners, within the Mauchline Conservation Area, with the opportunity to apply for grant funding for building repairs, re-instatement of architectural detail and shop front improvements.
Download a larger version of our Mauchline Conservation Area Summary Map (PDF 1.54Mb)
What is the aim of Mauchline CARS?
The aim of the scheme is to maximise and sustain the economic potential of Mauchline’s Culture and Heritage assets through:
- the restoration and repair of six key historic buildings bringing them, where necessary, back into productive and sustainable use.
- a small grants scheme to enable and encourage private owners to carry out urgent repairs on traditional and older properties.
- a small grants scheme for shop front improvements
- public realm works
- an education and training programme for those involved or wishing to be involved in the traditional construction industry
- a programme of community participation and learning to increase people’s understanding and appreciation of heritage
What are the principles behind the scheme?
The general principles behind the CARS scheme are:
- to adopt proven traditional building techniques based on analysis of the causes of defects and an understanding of the historic development of the building
- to avoid unnecessary damage and avoid replacement of sound historic fabric
- restore architectural detail and heritage features based on appropriate evidence
- safeguard the future of the building with regular maintenance