East Ayrshire Support Team (EAST) works collaboratively with education groups and establishments to contribute to the provision of effective support for children and young people (aged 3-18 years) with additional support needs to help them achieve their individual targets and reach their full potential. EAST supports the development and implementation of whole school approaches that support effective teaching and learning and offers specialist support where this is required.
The team contributes to East Ayrshire’s support policies and procedures, develops new materials and approaches as well as supporting the implementation of relevant support strategies, interventions and initiatives including:
EAST also supports and oversees the East Ayrshire Inclusive Practice (DFS) Accreditation Pathway.
Learning teacher roles
Consultancy and consultation
- Provides advisory support and guidance on effective approaches and resources to meet the needs of learners with additional support needs (ASN)
- Contributes to Team Around the Child (TAC) meetings and supports child’s plans
Planning and teaching/co-operative teaching
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to supports for learners with additional support needs
- Delivers targeted support with an agreed focus to identified individuals/small groups through extraction or within a co-operative setting
Identification and assessment
EAST supports the authority assessment procedures.
Supporting professional learning
EAST staff remain abreast of national and international best practice in relation to ASN. They undertake development work (PDF 525Kb) to build capacity across East educational establishments and support professional learning through:
- development of support packs and materials to provide guidance and practical strategies for colleagues
- supporting career-long professional learning (CLPL) on ASN for colleagues
Download the current East Ayrshire Support Team Professional Development Sessions Calendar (PDF 945Kb)
EAST staff work in partnership with colleagues in education and other sectors, for example Health. Examples of partnership working include:
- a targeted speech and language programme developed by EAST working in partnership with Speech and Language Therapists (NHS)
- Visual stress assessments developed by EAST working in partnership with the VAROC Clinic. The model is being rolled out across North and South Ayrshire
- Representatives from EAST sit on the national Addressing Dyslexia Toolkit working group
How support is accessed
EAST provides an annual core allocation to each primary establishment in the authority to help support their provision for learners with ASN.
EAST also delivers a range of flexible supports and these are delivered on a needs-led basis.
Download the East Ayrshire Support Team's current Improvement Plan (PDF 583Kb)
Standards and qualities
Download the East Ayrshire Support Team's Standard and Qualities report (PDF 894K)