A financial assessment based on information provided by you will be undertaken to calculate how much, if anything, you need to pay towards the cost of your social care.
Your assessable income will be your total annual income, including all benefits apart from:
- Disability Living Allowance (DLA) (Mobility Component)
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP) (Mobility Component)
- War Widows/Widowers Supplementary Pension
- War Disablement Pension and payments made by Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
- Child Benefit
- Child Tax Credit and
- up to £25 of any earned income
The above benefits are all completely disregarded.
If you receive the higher rate of:
- Attendance Allowance (AA)
- Disability Living Allowance (DLA) (Care Component) or
- Enhanced rate of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
this will only be included if you receive social work services during the night as well as during the day.
Otherwise, only the lower rate of your AA, middle rate of DLA (Care Component) or standard rate of PIP will be counted in the financial assessment.
Do I have to provide information about my finances?
You may choose not to provide us with your financial details, however this will mean that we are unable to undertake a financial assessment and will charge you 80% of the cost of the services which you receive, up to the maximum charge.
If you choose not to provide the required information regarding your finances this will also mean that we are unable to undertake a benefits check for you, in which case, you may continue to miss out on benefits to which you may be entitled.
We will need to see proof of financial details and charges will be applied until this information is confirmed.
What if my circumstances change?
Liability to pay charges will be reassessed each year and you will be asked about any changes to your income or savings at that time.
If at any time during the year your circumstances change, it is your responsibility to advise us of this by contacting your care manager or other appropriate member of staff.
If you fail to do so, you may be charged at the wrong rate.
What information is required?
You will need to provide us with:
- basic financial details including:
- any earned income
- pensions and details where appropriate
- who deals with your finances if you don’t do so yourself
- any savings/capital including details and amounts
- housing costs including details and amounts which you pay in:
- council tax
- Chargeable income thresholds