Skip to content

Nationally, there is a website for anyone who may believe they are at risk of harm.

The Act Against Harm website provides a wealth of information on:

  • what harm is
  • where to get help
  • what is involved in Adult Support and Protection

Locally, if you are referred to the Health and Social Care Partnership as potentially being an adult at risk of harm the following will occur.

Adult protection inquiry

Once someone has raised a concern to the Health and Social Care Partnership we look at the circumstances to decide if anything might need to be done to support you.

Adult protection investigation

If we think you may be an adult at risk of harm, we will undertake an Adult Protection Investigation to find out what has happened and to consider what else might need to happen to help you.

Usually a social worker and one other person will visit you to ask you about what has happened. You do not have to answer these questions if you do not wish to do so, but it is really important that your views are heard.

The social worker normally speaks to other people who have an interest in your wellbeing. This could include your doctor, other health care professionals, your carer or anyone else who supports you. This will help them decide what kind of help to offer you.

Adult protection case conference

The social worker may invite you to a meeting called a Case Conference. Others who can help to support and protect you will also be invited.

The Case Conference usually lasts about one hour, but can be longer if there is a lot to talk about.  If you attend the meeting, you will have the chance to say what you think has happened and what you think needs to happen next.

If you do not attend the meeting, you can ask for someone else to go on your behalf to say what you think should happen.

The following publications are available to assist you:

Let us know what do you think about Adult Support and Protection

East Ayrshire Health and Social Care Partnership have asked East Ayrshire Advocacy Services (EAAS) to find out how adults at risk of harm and their family members or carers have experienced the support and protection services they received.

EAAS are asking people some questions to find out what they think of the Adult Support and Protection process, and to anonymously record what people think so it can be used to make things better. Anonymously means no-one will know what you said when you spoke to us as we won’t use your name or any other personal details.

We want to see if adults at risk are being given the chance to have their voice heard and to see what they think about the adult protection process. We also want to find out how family members or carers who were involved experienced the process.

If you have been through Adult Protection we want to know what it was like for you. What you tell us will help East Ayrshire Health and Social Care Partnership do better in the future.

How to make a referral

Referrals can be made online at East Ayrshire Advocacy Services: Referral form, or if you would like to find out more about taking part you can contact East Ayrshire Advocacy Services by emailing or telephone 01563 574442.

Contact Information

Adult Protection Concerns (East Ayrshire North)
Health and Social Care Partnership
The Johnnie Walker Bond
15 Strand Street
Kilmarnock, KA1 1HU
Telephone: 01563 554200


Adult Protection Concerns (East Ayrshire South)
Health and Social Care Partnership
Cumnock Area Centre, Rothesay House
1 Greenholm Road
Cumnock, KA18 1LH
Telephone: 01290 427720


Social Work: Ayrshire Urgent Care Service
Note: The Emergency Out Of Hours Social Work Service is available after 5pm until 9am, Monday to Thursday and after 4pm on Friday until 9am on Monday (throughout the weekend). It is also available during public holidays. You will be put through to the Ayrshire Social Work out of Hours Response Service. A qualified Social Worker will assess the circumstances referred.