Skip to content

Retailers must register if they are storing quantities less than 250kg Net Explosive Quantity (NEQ) of explosives. However for quantities greater than 250kg, a licence will be required.

Applying for registration or a licence

If applying for registration or a licence, please note that officers from Trading Standards may visit your premises as part of the consultation process.

You will require registration by the local authority if you store up to:

  • 30 kilograms of explosives of any hazard type
  • 100 kilograms of hazard type 3 explosives
  • 100 kilograms of combination of hazard type 3 explosives with explosives of hazard type 4
  • 250 kilograms of hazard type 4 explosives
  • 250 kilograms of small arms ammunition and percussion caps and 30 kilograms of shooters' powder

If you supply fireworks you may need two separate licences.

Supply of fireworks licence

A licence to supply fireworks will be required if you intend to supply fireworks outwith the undernoted days:

  • on the first day of Chinese new year and the three days immediately preceding it
  • on the day of Diwali and the three days immediately preceding it
  • during the period beginning on 15 October and ending on 10 November
  • during the period beginning on 26 December and ending on 31 December
  • you only supply caps, cracker snaps, novelty matches, party poppers, serpents, sparklers or throwdowns
  • to a business which supplies fireworks
  • to a professional organiser of displays
  • to a person whose business is to transport fireworks

Fireworks guidance (PDF 45Kb)

Apply for a licence or renewal

Online via our GLAMIS system

You can also download and print the application form below:

Fireworks and other explosives registration licence (PDF 30Kb)

Storing fireworks or explosives

You will also need a licence or registration under the Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regulations 2005 allowing you to store fireworks of any kind at any time of the year. 

To register or apply for a licence please contact us.

For information relating to fireworks storage please visit the Health and Safety Executive website.

Contact Information

Licensing Board Administration
London Road
East Ayrshire
Telephone: 07557 168826
Trading Standards Service
Civic Centre South
John Dickie Street
Telephone: 01563 576790 for business advice