Retailers must register if they are storing quantities less than 250kg Net Explosive Quantity (NEQ) of explosives. However for quantities greater than 250kg, a licence will be required.
Applying for registration or licence certificate
If applying for registration or a licence, please note that officers from Trading Standards may visit your premises as part of the consultation process.
You will require registration by the local authority if you store up to:
30 kilograms of explosives of any hazard type
100 kilograms of hazard type 3 explosives
100 kilograms of combination of hazard type 3 explosives with explosives of hazard type 4
250 kilograms of hazard type 4 explosives
250 kilograms of small arms ammunition and percussion caps and 30 kilograms of shooters' powder
If you supply fireworks you may need two separate licences, namely:
A licence to supply fireworks will be required if you intend to supply fireworks outwith the undernoted days:
- On the first day of Chinese new year and the three days immediately preceding it
- On the day of Diwali and the three days immediately preceding it
- During the period beginning on 15 October and ending on 10 November
- During the period beginning on 26 December and ending on 31 December
- You only supply caps, cracker snaps, novelty matches, party poppers, serpents, sparklers or throwdowns
- To a business which supplies fireworks
- To a professional organiser of displays
- To a person whose business is to transport fireworks
You will also need a licence or registration under the Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regulations 2005 allowing you to store fireworks of any kind at any time of the year.
For further information on fireworks or explosives, please contact the Licensing Unit using the details below.
To register or apply for a licence, or for further information on the storage of explosives, please contact the Licensing Unit using the details below.
For further information relating to fireworks storage please visit the Health and Safety Executive website.