The blue badge scheme is designed to help disabled people who have severe mobility problems lead independent lives by allowing them to park near to a venue and have easier access to the service they want to use.

You may quality for a Blue Badge if you meet one of the following criteria:

Automatic criteria

You will automatically qualify for a Blue badge if one of the following applies:

  • receive the Higher Rate of the Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance
  • receive either the standard or enhanced rate of Mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) because you meet a “Moving Around” descriptor that indicates that you either cannot stand, or can stand but walk no more than 50 metres (8 points or more)
  • receive the enhanced rate of Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) because the “Planning and Following Journeys” descriptor indicates that you can’t follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid (12 points)
  • are severely sight impaired (blind)
  • receive a War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement
  • have received a lump sum benefit within tariffs 1 to 8 of the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (Compensation) Scheme and have been certified as having a permanent and substantial difficulty which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking

Discretionary criteria

You may be eligible for a blue badge if you are more than two years old and meet one of the following criteria:

  • have a permanent and substantial disability which means you are unable to walk, or virtually unable to walk
  • are unable to walk, or virtually unable to walk, because of a temporary but substantial disability which is likely to last for a period of at least 12 months but less than three years

If you are applying for a badge under the above criteria you will need to show that you are unable to walk or virtually unable to walk very far without experiencing excessive pain and breathlessness or a deterioration of health brought on by the effort needed to walk.

Severe upper limb disability

You may be eligible if you drive a motor vehicle regularly, have a severe disability in both upper limbs and are unable to operate, or have considerable difficulty, in operating, all or some types of ticket issuing machines (parking metres). 

To qualify for a badge under this criterion you will need to show that you meet all of the following:

  • drive a vehicle regularly
  • have a severe disability in both arms
  • are unable to operate, or have considerable difficulty operating, all or some types of on-street parking metres

Special rules for children under three years

A parent of a child who is less than three years old may apply for a badge for their child if the child has a specific medical condition which means that they must always be accompanied by bulky medical equipment which cannot be carried around without great difficulty. Bulky medical equipment includes any of the following:

  • ventilators
  • suction machines
  • feed pumps
  • parenteral equipment
  • syringe drivers
  • oxygen administration equipment
  • continuous oxygen saturation monitoring equipment
  • casts and associated medical equipment for the correction of hip dysplasia

A parent of a child who is less than three years old may apply for a badge for their child if the child as a specific medical condition which means they need to be near a vehicle at all times, so that they can, if necessary, be treated in the vehicle or quickly driven to a place where they can be treated, such as a hospital.  Examples of highly unstable medical conditions that mean children who have them may need quick access to transport to hospital or home may include:

  • tracheotomies
  • severe epilepsy/fitting
  • highly unstable diabetes
  • terminal illnesses that prevent children from spending any more than brief moments outside and who need a quick route home

Badges for organisations

Some organisations may be eligible for a blue badge if they both care for and transport disabled people who themselves meet the eligibility criteria for a badge described above. The local authority will decide whether the organisation has a clear need for an organisational badge rather than using the individual badges of people it is transporting. An organisational badge must only be displayed when someone who would be eligible for a blue badge in their own right is being transported.

Common examples of organisations that may be eligible include residential care home or hospices.  It is unlikely that a taxi or private hire operators and community transport operators would be eligible for an organisational blue badge as they are not usually concerned with the care of disabled people.

When making an application for an organisational blue badge, you may be asked for evidence that the vehicle on which the badge will be displayed is licensed under the Disabled Passenger Vehicle Taxation Class. You will be asked for information such as the number of qualifying disabled people being care for, the type of vehicle being used to carry passengers and whether the vehicle is adapted.

Risk in traffic criteria

Applicants can apply for a blue badge where, because of a mental condition, they lack awareness of danger from traffic and are likely to compromise their safety or the safety of others.  To meet this eligibility criteria the applicant must:

(a) have a diagnosed mental health, cognitive or behaviour condition. This includes any mental health problem, personality disorder or learning disability, however caused or manifested.

The applicant must also receive one of the following: 

(a) Disability Living Allowance care component at middle or higher rate

(b) Attendance Allowance at lower or higher rate

(c) Personal Independence Payment having been given a total of at least 8 points from the following sections - Section 7 (communicating verbally); Section 8 (reading and understanding signs, symbols and words); Section 9 (engaging with other people face to face)

Lost blue badge

Applicants must advise their local office if their badge is lost and report the loss to the local Police and obtain a ‘pink slip’ or a “crime refer number”.  If the original badge is not found, a replacement badge will be issued within four weeks from the date of reporting the loss. 

Applying for, or renewing, a blue badge

Online application

Apply online at Apply for a new Blue Badge.

You will be able to return to a saved application and track the progress of a completed one. You must answer a few questions to assess your eligibility before applying.

Paper application

Download an application form:

Paying for a blue badge

The £20 charge for the Blue Badge will only be requested when your application has been fully screened/assessed and confirms that you are eligible for a Blue  Badge. No payment should be made in advance of this.

Renewing a blue badge

There is no automatic renewal of Blue Badges. A renewal is the same as making a new application.

Review of decision

When an application for a blue badge is unsuccessful, East Ayrshire Health and Social Care Partnership will notify the applicant or the applicant’s representative in writing giving the reason for refusal of a blue badge and provide information on the review process, including grounds for review and timescales to be followed.

The request for a review must be made in writing within 28 days of the date of the letter refusing a badge, must include the grounds for the review request and may include further supporting evidence which was not included with the initial application.

When a request for a review is received we will ensure that the review is carried out by someone who was not involved in the original decision.  We will provide notification of the review decision in writing to the applicant within 28 days of the date of the request for review and notify the applicant, or the applicant’s representative, in writing the reason for any delay in the review of the case beyond the 28 days. 

Change of address

If you live in East Ayrshire, contact one of our local Social Work offices or drop us an email to

If you are moving to another authority area, you can carry on using your badge until it is due to expire. Six weeks before the expiry date you should apply for your badge, using your new address, to the local authority in which you reside. 

By completing the relevant application form. Alternatively you can complete the application online via the blue badge change details. Supporting documentation requires to be submitted to your local Social Work office or submitted by email. 

Misuse of blue badges

Blue badges are the property of local authorities, who can take them away if they are misused. The blue badge is for the use of the blue badge holder only, and it is an offence to allow other people to use it. It is also an offence to park in an on-street Blue Badge parking bay without displaying a badge.

You should report the misuse of a blue badge to your local Social Work office. You should also contact the Police as it is a criminal offence to misuse a blue badge. Find out more about the misuse of badges on the Report a lost, stolen or misused Blue Badge.

Blue badges that are no longer required

If for any reason the blue badge is no longer required, it must be returned to your local Social Work office. You can hand deliver the Blue Badge to any of our Social Work offices. 

Your duties as a badge holder

The purpose of the blue badge scheme is to allow you to park close to shops and other places. Blue Badge holders must ensure that they use their badge with care and pay attention to the rules.

It is the badge holder’s responsibility to ensure that the badge is used properly.

Badge holders must not allow other people to use the badge for their own journeys. Allowing someone else to use a badge is a criminal offence. To reduce the risk of this happening accidentally, the badge should be removed from the vehicle whenever the parking concessions are not in use.

Badge holders must ensure that the details on the front of the badge remain readable. If it becomes unreadable, the badge must be returned to the local authority for re-issue.  You can find more information on your rights and responsibilities as a Blue Badge holder in Scotland on the Blue Badge Scheme.


This authority is required by law to protect the public funds it administers.

It may share information provided to it with other bodies responsible for; auditing, or administering public funds, or where undertaking a public function, in order to prevent and detect fraud.

The Cabinet Office is responsible for carrying out data matching exercises.

Data matching involves comparing computer records held by one body against other computer records held by the same or another body to see how far they match. This is may include personal information.

Please refer to National Fraud Initiative.

Disabled parking

For information on disabled parking bays, how to apply and where to park please visit  Ayrshire Roads Alliance: Disabled Persons Parking Place.

Contact Information

Social Services (Cumnock)
Rothesay House
1 Greenholm Road
East Ayrshire
KA18 1LH
Telephone: 01290 427720
Health and Social Care Partnership
The Johnnie Walker Bond
15 Strand Street
Telephone: 01563 554200
Social Services (Kilmarnock)
The Johnnie Walker Bond
15 Strand Street
East Ayrshire
Telephone: 01563 554200