If you feel you cannot wait to dispose of your rubbish then please be aware that:
- the police and East Ayrshire Council are aware of a number of illegal waste businesses operating in the area
- many of these have no licence to remove, transport or dispose of your waste
- many of these will fly-tip your waste
- this implicates you in a criminal offence if this happens
- the maximum fine a Court can issue for fly tipping is £40,000
- a custodial sentence can also be imposed
There are, however, reputable businesses that will take your waste.
You should check if they are authorised before paying and letting them take your waste. The Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) has a list of reputable carriers that you can check.
Having a licence does not guarantee they are responsible. You should also ask for:
- proof of where your waste is to be taken
- proof of where and when your waste was taken and deposited via receipt
- reputable waste carriers will be happy to provide all of this information to you
You should also always ask for a price up front and you will often have the right to cancel the job within 14 days. Find out more at consumeradvice.scot.