Skip to content

There are no restrictions on how much rent a landlord can charge for their property. The rent is a matter for agreement between the landlord and the tenant.

The rent can be paid weekly, monthly, annually or for some other period by cash, cheque or some other method. It is important the landlord and tenant are aware when the rent is due and how the payment will be made. If the payments are being made weekly then the landlord must provide a rent book and receipts.

The rent book should state:

  • the landlord or agents name and address
  • the amount of rent to be paid
  • summary of the basic rights that a tenant has
  • address of the property and the tenants name

Private residential tenancy agreement rent increase

If the tenancy agreement is a Private Residential Tenancy (PRT) agreement from 1 December 2017, the rent can only be increased once in a year. You have to wait 12 months before it can be increased again.

If you want to increase the amount of rent your tenant pays you, you have to give at least three months written notice before you can do this. You must use the Rent Increase Notice form to give your tenant notice of a rent increase.

The notice period begins on the date the tenant gets the notice, and ends three months after that date or, if there is no such date, the last day of the month. So if you send the rent increase notice to your tenant by post or email, you must allow the tenant 48 hours to receive it.

This delivery time should be factored into the amount of notice you give your tenant.

Notice form and guidance

Forms and guidance can be found at Scottish Government: Private residential tenancy notices and forms

Short assured tenancy agreement rent increase

If the tenancy agreement is a Short Assured Tenancy (SAT) then the rent on a property can be increased if both landlord and tenant agree. However there will be times when both parties are not in agreement, therefore the Housing (Scotland) Act 1988 lays down three specific circumstances in which a rent increase can be sought:

  • within one year of the creation of the statutory assured tenancy, either the landlord or the tenant may propose new terms and also, if he wishes, an increase/decrease to the rent to reflect the new terms. A landlord should do so by serving an:
    • Assured Tenancies Notice AT1 (L) and
    • Assured Tenancies Notice AT1 (T)
  • the landlord may propose a rent increase to take effect at any time during a statutory assured tenancy though not more often than once a year by serving an Assured Tenancies Notice AT2.
  • a tenant under a Short Assured Tenancy may use an Assured Tenancies AT4 form to apply to the rent assessment committee for a determination of market rent – the rent assessment committee may then change the rent

As new private residential tenancies came into force on 1 December 2017, you will no longer be able to set up a new assured or short assured tenancy. However these forms must continue to be used for assured tenancies which have begun before 1 December and will continue after that date.

Assured tenancy forms and guidance

Forms and guidance can be found at Scottish Government: Rent regulation and assured tenancies: forms


At the start of a tenancy it is good practice for the landlord to confirm with the new tenant the furnishings and equipment supplied as part of the tenancy. This should include details of any faults, damage or disrepair of any equipment fixtures and fittings.

It is recommended that the landlord and the tenant go over the inventory at the same time as signing the lease for the property. The tenant should be given a copy of the inventory and a note of what repairs are required and when the tenant should expect these to be completed.

At the end of the tenancy, the landlord and tenant should check the inventory together.

Contact Information

Private Sector Housing Unit direct numbers
Karen Walker, Homeowners Service (Private Sector) Manager: 07469 406 300
Dawn Cadwell, Empty Homes Officer: 07785 446 115
Elizabeth (Liz) King, Private Sector Assistant: 07785 445 835
Christine Thomson, Private Sector Assistant: 07785 446 120
Gemma Wilks, Private Sector Clerical Assistant: 07785 446 298
Opera House
8 John Finnie Street
Telephone: 01563 554400
Rent Deposit Scheme
CentreStage Neighbourhood
15 Elmbank Drive
Telephone(Option 3): 0300 002 0002