Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates

Advice and support for private tenants

If you are thinking of renting out a property or renting from a private landlord we can help. We have a dedicated Private Sector Housing Unit (PSHU)which can provide advice and assistance to both private sector tenants and landlords.

We can help you with the following:

  • Landlord registration
  • Finding accommodation
  • Understanding your tenancy agreement
  • Securing a deposit
  • Safety, repairs and energy efficiency
  • New private residential tenancy
  • Empty homes and bringing them back into use

Please contact our PSHU if you require further advice or assistance on any of the above. 

Lets do it right project @CHAP

CHAP is a charitable organisation who has managed DiGS in East Ayrshire for some time. They have recently secured funding to establish a pilot project (Lets Do It Right @CHAP) in East Ayrshire to provide a private rented sector tenant accreditation and tenancy sustainment training scheme for a period of one year. The main aim of the project is to improve/enhance tenancy sustainment in the private sector as it is believed that a number of tenancy breakdowns could be avoided if tenants were given the appropriate support and training.

Landlords frequently request a list of 'bad tenants’ but this is not a feasible option. Instead, a more appropriate and positive option is to offer a training and accreditation scheme to raise standards and provide landlords with a mechanism of choosing accredited tenants. 

The project will establish a tenant training programme that would incorporate:

  • tenancy obligations
  • housekeeping
  • gardening
  • community engagement
  • budgeting
  • energy supply advice
  • employability skills
  • benefit applications
  • advocacy
  • community engagement

Tenants will be educated in relation to their legal rights and obligations in the private rented sector and the training offered will provide them with the appropriate skills required to ensure a tenancy is sustained. This will be of particular assistance to first time private sector tenants or tenants who may be vulnerable and in need of additional assistance. Tenants who have undergone the training can use this as reference for future tenancies. With so much emphasis being put on ‘unacceptable’ references, this pilot project would offer a positive aspect to references.

The project will aim to minimise tenancy breakdown, promote sustainable and solid communities and prevent homelessness.  Landlords will benefit as the tenancy should be in place for longer and operate more efficiently thus avoiding turnover and void periods.  Landlords will also benefit from the knowledge that the tenant they are allocating their property to has undertaken training and is accredited.  This training is available to current tenants not just new tenants.

The project will provide a holistic and joined up approach to setting individuals on a path of achievement which could positively influence the rest of their lives.  

If you would like further information on this new and innovative scheme please contact the PSHU or Let’s Do It Right Project @CHAP, Tel: 07904 582239, Email:

Contact Information

Private Sector Housing Unit direct numbers
Karen Walker, Private Sector Manager: 07469 406 300
Dawn Cadwell, Private Sector Assistant: 07785 446 115
Christine Thomson, Private Sector Assistant: 07785 446 120
Ashley Muir, Private Sector Assistant: 07785 446 275
Liz King, Private Sector Development Officer: 07785 445 835
Gemma Wilks, Private Sector Clerical Assistant: 07785 446 298
Civic Centre North
John Dickie Street
Telephone: 01563 554400