Skip to content
Homeowners service

Homeowners are responsible for repairing and maintaining the common parts of their building.

Organising, financing and progressing common works can often be difficult if not all owners participate or contribute to their share of costs. This can result in repairs or maintenance works being blocked, buildings deteriorating, and larger repair cost further down the line.

A mutual or common repair is carried out on an element of a building that is shared with other owners, such as:

  • chimney and roof repairs
  • gutters
  • down pipes
  • fences
  • external roughcast

It can also include areas such as common paths, drying greens, boundary fences and land.

Our service

The Homeowners Service provides a repairs service to a mixture of private and Council owned properties. These can be improvements, repairs or work to flats, houses and land.

We provide two services:

  • Factoring service – mostly entry blocks with a mixture of private and Council owned properties
  • Common works service – all other property types that have shared components between privately owned properties and Council owned properties or land

Further information

If your property is in a block where all the properties are privately owned then the Council will not be responsible for completing repairs.

If you are a private owner, you can get free and impartial advice to help understand legal obligations, establish good maintenance arrangements and carryout repairs in privately owned blocks from the Scottish Government's website Under One Roof

Contact Information

Housing Services
Homeowners Service
Opera House
8 John Finnie Street
Telephone: 07920 845451