Due to changes in government guidelines, our recycling centres at Western Road, Kilmarnock and Garlaff, Skares are open by appointment only.
We ask that you only visit if you really need to. For your safety, our employees’ safety and to help the process run as smoothly as possible, we have put new measures in place. We thank you for your patience and understanding.
What you need to know
- Recycling centres are open 7 days a week (see opening times below).
- Cars, vans and trailers are allowed to enter for household waste and commercial permit holders only.
- You must have a Residents’ Recycling Permit and a booking slot to be able to enter (more information on this below).
- One person per vehicle – or maximum of two from the same household only if there are heavy items to be lifted or you are a blue badge holder. Unfortunately, our employees will be unable to help with lifting items due to social distancing guidance.
How you can help us
- Please only visit if it is essential
- Observe social distancing of two metres from other residents and from our employees
- Wait in your car until you are advised that it’s your turn
- Although not compulsory, for your own safety you may wish to consider wearing a mask and gloves
- Wash your hands before and after visiting the centre
- Do not visit if you are self-isolating or have COVID-19 symptoms
- No pedestrian access
What you can take to the recycling centre
At the moment, we can accept:
- all household waste
- all recycling products
Western Road, Kilmarnock
Monday - Friday: 8am-3.50pm
Summer hours (from Monday 29 March 2021):
- Monday and Thursday: 8am-6.50pm
- Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday: 8am-3.50pm
Garlaff, near Cumnock
All year round:
- Monday to Friday: 8am-4.30pm
- Saturday and Sunday: 8am-4pm
How to gain entry to the recycling centre
The new self-service Residents’ Recycling Permit and booking scheme aims to make it simpler and easier for you to access the recycling centres.
You will no longer have to show ID with your name and address on it when you arrive; instead, your vehicle registration details will be checked on arrival. Registering for your online permit is a simple four-step process.
1. Customer account
First, you will need to register for an Our East Ayrshire customer account (if you don’t already have one).
You will need a valid email address to create an account. You will receive a verification email to validate your email address. Once validated, you can register your profile details.
2. Residents' recycling permit
Next, you can apply for your online Residents’ Recycling Permit (in the same system). You will need your council tax reference to validate your East Ayrshire residency.
3. Vehicle details
Next, you can register your vehicle. You will need the registration number of the vehicle you wish to visit the recycling centre with. You can register up to two vehicles per permit.
4. Book your time slot
Finally, you can book a time slot for visiting the recycling centre. Bookings are currently limited to one visit per permit and can be booked up to 14 days in advance.
Don't have internet access?
If you don’t have internet access you can call 01563 554400 to set up a permit, register a vehicle and book a time slot. You will need to provide your name, address and council tax reference number for staff to be able to do this on your behalf.
Having problems setting up your permit?
If you are experience trouble completing the online recycling permit registration, you can call us on 01563 554400. You will need to provide your name, address and council tax reference number.
Don't have your council tax reference number?
If you don’t have your council tax reference number to hand, you can request a copy bill. You can register for an Our East Ayrshire account (as per step 1 above) and then use the link in the Residents' Recycling Permit registration page to request a copy bill be issued to you. This normally takes 2-3 days. If you don’t have internet access you can call 01563 554400 and they will request a copy bill for you.
Frequently asked questions