Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates

Antisocial behaviour

What is and isn't antisocial behaviour, what can be done and how we can help.

Everyone has a different idea about what antisocial behaviour means. The term 'antisocial behaviour' covers any kind of nuisance, unreasonable behaviour or harassment. It can also include more serious criminal behaviour or activity.

The Anti-Social Behaviour etc (Scotland) Act 2004 provides the legal definition of antisocial behaviour as:

"A person engages in antisocial behaviour if they act in a manner that causes or is likely to cause alarm and distress or pursues a course of conduct which causes or is likely to cause alarm and distress to at least one person who is not of the same household. (Course of conduct must involve conduct on at least two occasions)."

What is antisocial behaviour?

Antisocial behaviour may include, but is not limited to the following:

  • Noise disturbances such as loud music, noisy parties, shouting
  • Harassment
  • Hate crimes, including race, religion or faith, sexual orientation, disability or transgender or gender identity
  • Violence or threats of violence
  • Verbal abuse
  • Vandalism and graffiti
  • Drug dealing

Who to contact

It should be noted that many of the above are crimes. Incidents of violence, suspected drug dealing, racial harassment etc should always be reported to the Police in the first instance.

What isn't antisocial behaviour?

As antisocial behaviour can be difficult to define and annoying, there are some types of behaviour that are not classed as antisocial and may not be investigated by our antisocial investigators:

  • Children playing in the street or communal areas - unless they are causing damage to property
  • Young people gathering socially - unless they are swearing and being intimidating to individuals
  • Being unable to park outside your own home
  • DIY and car repairs - unless these are taking place late at night or early in the morning
  • Civil disputes between neighbours, for example, fence boundaries

Who to contact

For these types of disputes, mediation is often the most appropriate service to help residents resolve any issues. Contact the Mediation Service for help and advice.

Contact Information

Housing: Irvine Valley and Ballochmyle
Civic Centre North
John Dickie Street
Telephone: 01563 554400
Housing: Kilmarnock North
Northwest Area Centre
Western Road
East Ayrshire
Telephone: 01563 554400
Housing: Kilmarnock Central and South
Civic Centre North
John Dickie Street
Telephone: 01563 554400
Housing: Cumnock Area
1 Greenholm Road
East Ayrshire
KA18 1LH
Telephone: 01563 554400
24 Hour Emergency Helpline
Telephone: 0345 724 0000 (local rate)
Police Scotland
Telephone: 101 (to report a crime)
Telephone: 999 (in an emergency)