Skip to content

Are you a carer?

A carer is someone who, without payment, provides help and support to a partner, child, relative, friend or neighbour, who could not manage without their help.

This could be due to age, physical or mental illness, addiction or disability.

Support and services

If you are a carer there are a variety of supports and services available.

If you are looking for information, advice, support, training or leisure and social activities, you can contact the East Ayrshire Carers Centre.

If you or the person you care for has a learning disability and you are looking for advice, support, activities and services available in your area, please contact one of our local area co-ordinators using the contact details below.

If you think you or the person you care for needs an advocate, please contact East Ayrshire Advocacy Services.

Digital resources for carers

Carers in East Ayrshire can access a range of digital resources from Carers UK, providing free advice and information that is available 24/7.

Visit Carers UK and create an account using your free access code: DGTL4112

Use this code to get free access to all the digital products and online resources, covering:

  • health and wellbeing
  • support for caring
  • technology and caring
  • financial planning
  • working and skills

Adult Carers Support Plan and Young Carers Statement

As a carer you are entitled to an assessment which looks at your needs and what supports you might require in order to continue providing care. You can complete a self assessment, get help via your local Carer’s Centre or make a referral to Social Work Services for an assessment of your needs.

Once your assessment is completed, some supports available to you may include respite care, practical help with caring or support with your finances. This is called a carer support plan.

Alternatively you may decide to receive payments for self-directed support (direct payments) which would mean receiving money from us to enable you to purchase support services to meet your assessed needs.

Carer's allowance

Carer’s Allowance can help you look after someone with substantial caring needs. You don’t have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for.

Visit GOV.UK: Carer's Allowance to find out if you are eligible and apply online.

Short breaks

A short break is something that enables carers to have time away from their caring routines or responsibilities. Short breaks are available for carers and those who they care for.

Carers can contact East Ayrshire Carers Centre or your identified social worker for advice, information and support regarding your caring role. Our Short Break Statement (PDF 5.76Mb) also provides more information.

Further information

Find out more in our Carers Act Frequently Asked Questions (PDF 136Kb).

If you would like to be involved in, or have access to decision making on issues relating to carers, contact the Carers Forum through our Community Health Partnership (CHP) Facilitator.

Contact Information

Social Services (Kilmarnock)
The Johnnie Walker Bond
15 Strand Street
East Ayrshire
Telephone: 01563 554200
Social Services (Dalmellington)
33 Main Street
East Ayrshire
Telephone: 01292 552900
Social Services (Cumnock)
Rothesay House
1 Greenholm Road
East Ayrshire
KA18 1LH
Telephone: 01290 427720
Council Headquarters
London Road
East Ayrshire
Contact us online:
Save time, do it online:
Telephone: 01563 554400
Textphone: 01563 576167
24 Hour Emergency Helpline(local rate): 0345 724 0000

East Ayrshire Advocacy Services
20 Lindsay Street
East Ayrshire
Telephone: 01563 574442