The steps next to Kathleen Richmond Couture and beside CentreStage (formerly Kilmarnock Academy), are being repaired and renovated to make them safer to use and easier to walk on.
This will ultimately improve the connection between the town centre and the cultural quarter.
The specific works include:
- cut back vegetation and trees
- pointing and stone patching to masonry walls (subject to inspection once vegetation cleared)
- clean out gullies and drain runs
- break out granolithic treads and uneven flint treads and replace with concrete treads (possibly replace one of the flights with precast concrete steps)
- prepare and re-paint existing metal boundary fence and handrails
- replace section of existing boundary fence
- install central handrail where none exists and edge handrails full length
- repaint bollards
- improve lighting
The other set of steps near the Salvation Army will also be improved, again making it easier to walk on, tidier and easier to use. This work will start when the other set of steps are complete.
For regular updates on progress please visit our Love Local East Ayrshire Instagram Gallery.