Skip to content

If we need to acquire land or buildings to secure development for the proper planning of an area we can apply to the Scottish Ministers for a Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO). This order gives us the legal power to buy your home or land from you.

CPO's are only used when land is needed to meet public need, for example:

  • to build or widen a road
  • to erect a public building such as a school or leisure centre
  • to regenerate an area
  • to demolish dangerous buildings

Before we can get a CPO we must follow a set legal process which will give you the opportunity to find out about our plans and object if you are not in support of them.

If you would like to find out more about CPO's or want to find out if there are any plans for your area please contact us.

Contact Information


Planning and Building Standards
Opera House
8 John Finnie Street
Telephone: 01563 576790