Muirkirk Primary, Early Childhood Centre and Community Facility
An investment of £4.900m (plus £1.3m additional funding) resulted in a state-of-the-art learning environment for children and young people and flexible facilities for the community of Muirkirk. The new build is located on the site of the former school and community facility.
Start date: July 2016 construction
Finish date: July 2017
Download plans of the building:
- The official key handover ceremony took place on Tuesday 22 August 2017.
- Mrs Whittet and staff welcomed pupils to their new school on Monday 21 August 2017.
- New furniture was delivered and installed during the summer holidays and resources were moved from Greenmill Primary into the new school.
- The building was handed over to East Ayrshire Council on schedule.
- The contractor reported that the building was on schedule and would be handed over to East Ayrshire during July 2017.
- All furniture has been ordered for the school. Deliveries and installations will take place over the summer break.
- Progress continues with internal colour schemes, furniture layouts and external landscaping.
- As of 8 March 2017 the contractor (Ashleigh Scotland) has advised that the project continues to be on target for completion in July 2017.
- The “Topping Out” ceremony on 2 March 2017 was attended by pupils, teaching staff, community representatives, Leader of the Council, Elected Members and Council officers following completion of the roof.
- Staff visited the site during the February in-service day to see their new classrooms and school facilities.
- 15 February 2017 productive meeting with head teacher sharing staff ideas on use of the fabulous breakout spaces
- 13 February 2017 feedback from members of the Community Association on the interiors for community area.
- 1 February 2017 external architects presented a "virtual fly through" of the site to staff.
- On 16 December 2016, a P6 pupil received a voucher as the winner of the competition to design the playground surface. Ashleigh (Scotland) Ltd also donated a box of sporting goods to the PE department.
- On 7 December 2016 Muirkirk Primary provided great entertainment as Christmas lights were switched on by primary 7 pupils, Claire Hosie and David Roan from Ashleigh (Scotland) Ltd and of course Santa!
- Official ground breaking ceremony took place on 27 September 2016.
- The demolition of the Fisherman's Cottage is now complete and work commenced onsite on 26 July 2016 and is progressing to programme.
- The pupils have been asked take part in a competition to design the soft surface for the outdoor play areas. This will be arranged by Ashleigh Building as part of their community benefit programme.
- Latest progress update photos from Ashleigh Scotland.
- Ashleigh Building have been awarded the contract to build the new school. Staff from Ashleigh recently attended the pupils' assesmbly on 17 June 2016 to warn the chidren of the dangers on a building site.
- At the cabinet meeting on 23 March 2016 it was agreed to authorise the contract award by setting additional costs of up to £1.3m associated with the project for the Primary School and Early Childhood Centre.
- Following a programme of internal checks, demolition of the building is due to commence on 15 April 2016 and is estimated to be completed by June 2016.
- Decant arrangements letter 8 February 2016
- Work is underway to empty the school and early childhood centre and to transfer furniture and resources to Greenmill Primary ahead of pupils' return on 22 February 2016
- Parents visit to Greenmill Primary 3 February 2016
- Decant arrangements letter 27 January 2016
- Decant arrangements letter 20 January 2016
- Decant arrangements letter 9 November 2015
Information for parents
Investing in East Ayrshire Schools
8 John Finnie Street