Investing in East Ayrshire Schools
East Ayrshire Council is committed to major investment in the communities of East Ayrshire. The updated 10 year Capital Investment Programme provides a framework for Capital Investment whereby projects are aligned to the Council’s asset management aspirations and designed to support the overall objectives of the Community Plan and Transformation Strategy.
A significant sum, from this major investment, has been allocated to improving the schools’ estate to ensure that our children and young people experience a learning environment that is modern, inspiring and fit for purpose.
Expansion of Early Learning and Childcare
On 23 March 2017, the Minister for Childcare and Early Years delivered a key statement to the Scottish Parliament on key elements of the future policy direction, expansion and delivery framework of early learning and childcare (ELC) in Scotland.
The expansion will almost double the number of free hours of ELC entitlement available to parents and carers from 600 hours to 1140 hours by August 2020. In order to deliver this entitlement across the East Ayrshire Council estate a review of provision was undertaken and a report was presented to and agreed at cabinet on 27 June 2018. This report advised of progress to date in delivering the priorities set out in the Early Learning and Childcare Plan 2016-2018 and outlined the implementation of 1140 hours during the period 2018-2021 to deliver the expansion of early learning and childcare.
Projects currently under development
- External works at Crosshouse Early Childhood Centre
- External works at Hurlford Early Childhood Centre
- External landscaping at Patna Early Childhood Centre
- External landscaping and toilet facilities at Hillbank Early Childhood Centre
- External toilet facilities at Dalrymple Early Childhood Centre
- External toilet facilities at Flowerbank Early Childhood Centre
- External toilet facilities at Gargieston Early Childhood Centre
- Discussions to be initiated for plans on a new Doon Campus, incorporating Doon Academy and Dalmellington Primary School
- Previous proposals to co-locate St Sophias Primary School with Galston Primary School are now not feasible and it was agreed at cabinet on 27 June 2018 that alternative proposals be developed and presented to a future Cabinet meeting. Update to follow.
A number of projects have already been completed