Skip to content

If you are liable to pay Council Tax and your income and savings are below a certain level you may be entitled to Council Tax Reduction.

Up to 100% reduction of the Council Tax charge may be available. There is however, no reduction for the water and sewerage charges, which are included in your Council Tax bill.

We administer Council Tax Reduction on behalf of the Scottish Government. It is governed by laws and regulations laid down by the government and is funded by the Scottish Government.

Reduction is normally awarded from the Monday after the date your application is received by us. It will be paid directly to your Council Tax account.

Council Tax Reduction is strictly controlled to make sure that Reduction is paid to those in real need. We will ask you to provide evidence of both you and your partner’s national insurance number and identity as well as proof of your household income and savings. If you are entitled to certain state benefits we may not need to verify your details because this will already have been done by the Department for Work and Pensions. 

For further information see our Frequently Asked Questions.

Council Tax Reduction online form 

For further help and advice by calling the Revenues and Benefits Section.

Even if you are not entitled to Council Tax Reduction you may be able to reduce your Council Tax bill if you qualify for Council Tax discount, exemption or disabled reduction. 

Don't delay - if you think you will qualify apply now or you may lose out.

Change of circumstances

If you are currently receiving Council Tax Reduction and your circumstances change you must inform us immediately using our online form below. 

Typical examples of a change in circumstances will include if:

  • you change address
  • the number of people living with you changes
  • your income or the income of another household member changes
  • you stop receiving Universal Credit or Employment Support Allowance
  • your savings change

Please note if you wish to report a change to your Council Tax account, you should call our Benefits Section.

Change of circumstances online form

Calculation of Council Tax Reduction

Council Tax Reduction is based on your weekly income minus your weekly applicable amount (the figure the government sets to reflect your day-to-day living expenses).

If your weekly income is less than your weekly applicable amount, you will qualify for the maximum Council Tax Reduction available, minus any deduction made for any other adults living in the house (non-dependent deductions).

We can award a maximum Council Tax Reduction of 100% excluding water and sewerage charges, after taking into account any disabled person's reduction, discounts and non-dependent deductions.

Contact Information

Benefits Section
John Dickie Street
East Ayrshire
Telephone: 01563 554400