Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates

National Entitlement Card for disabled people

As part of the Customer First programme, the Scottish Government, East Ayrshire Council and other agencies have introduced the National Entitlement Card to make it easier for people with a disability to access public services across Scotland using just one card.

Services on your East Ayrshire card

Example of a National Entitlement Card

You can travel anywhere in Scotland with your card. In addition you may travel to and from Carlisle from Dumfries and Galloway and to and from Berwick-upon-Tweed from the Scottish Borders. However, your National Entitlement Card does not give you free travel within Carlisle or Berwick-upon-Tweed.

For long distance journeys you may wish to pay a booking fee to guarantee your seat. You should contact the bus operator to confirm whether a fee would be applicable.

You can also benefit from non-bus concessions operated by Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (SPT). SPT operates a concessionary rail and subway scheme that gives discounted rail travel for anyone travelling within the SPT area.

For further information on rail and subway travel please contact SPT. 

How to apply

Please complete a NEC application form (PDF 808Kb) and return it via e-mail to us, with your supporting documents to

 All new applications must provide the following supporting documents:

  • Proof of person or Referee form
  • Proof of address
  • Passport quality photo

If you are using your birth certificate as proof of person/age, you must send the Photo Referee Verifier Form (PDF 467Kb) to an approved referee for completion and return it with your application and supporting documents.

If you are applying for a disabled card, you must also provide proof of eligibility. For more information of eligibility, please visit the Transport Scotland website

If you require help on how to complete the forms or return the supporting documents, guidance can be found at the bottom of the form or contact our Customer Services Team on 01563 554400.

Frequently asked questions

View our frequently asked questions about the National Entitlement Card for disabled people. 

Contact Information

National Entitlement Card
Telephone: 01563 554400
Textphone: 01563 576167
Note: The NEC telephone number is available from 9am to 5pm Monday to Thursday and 9am to 4pm on Friday.