Digital Infrastructure

The Scottish Government’s digital ambition for Scotland is for Next Generation Broadband to be available to all by 2020.

Within East Ayrshire, the development of infrastructure to enable access to Next Generation Broadband (NGB) is being led by either commercial operators or via Digital Scotland’s Rest of Scotland Project. The Rest of Scotland Project – which ends in 2018 - targets public funds to certain postcode areas where, following an Open Market Review in 2012, the rollout of NGB infrastructure was determined to be an unviable enterprise for commercial operators.

We have invested an additional £1.2 million in the Rest of Scotland project to increase coverage, meet local priorities and address the digital divide within the local authority area.

It is predicted that the combined outcome of the Rest of Scotland Project and the actions of commercial operators will ensure that approximately 98% of premises within East Ayrshire will have access to NGB by the end of 2018. The remaining 2% of premises will have access to a basic broadband service, with a minimum speed of 2 Megabytes per Second (Mbps), on completion of the project.

A second Open Market Review is scheduled to begin in late 2016. The outcome of the review will inform the scope of the programme to increase access to NGB to 100% of premises by 2020. In the meantime, Community Broadband Scotland’s ‘Start Up’ fund provides financial assistance to community-led, not-for-profit organisations to deliver ‘Superfast Broadband’. Communities are eligible to access the fund, regardless of location, where:

  • most people in the community do not currently receive a standard broadband speed of more than 2Mbps; and
  • the community is unlikely to benefit from a standard broadband service in excess of 2Mbps as a result of the Rest of Scotland project.

Find out where and when

Regular updates on the availability of Next Generation Broadband may be provided by accessing Digital Scotland’s Interactive Map (available at www.scotlandsuperfast.com/where-when/#).

Contact Information

Planning & Economic Development
Telephone: 01563 576790
rating button