The Licensing Unit within Legal, Procurement and Regulatory Services is responsible for dealing with applications for licences submitted under Gambling Act 2005.Additional information can be found on the Gambling Commission website.
Apply for a licence
Statement of principles and fees
Gaming machine permits
Under the Gambling Act 2005 there are four categories of gaming machine, ranging from category A to category D:
- Category B1 machines may only be sited within casinos and have a maximum stake of £5 and prize of £10,000
- Category B2 machines may only be sited in casinos, in betting shops and in tracks occupied by holders of pool betting licences and have a maximum stake of £100 and prize of £500
- Category B3/B3A machines will have a maximum stake of £2 and prize of £500
- Category B4 machines have a maximum stake of £2 and prize of £400
- Category C machines currently have a maximum stake of £1 and prize of £100
- Category D machines which may be played by children (under 16s) and young people (under 18s) have a maximum stake of 20p and prize of £10 cash, or £1 stake and £50 prize when non-monetary
The stakes and prizes for these machines are in regulations by GOV.UK: Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
Apply for a permit
Small lotteries registration