Where a birth can be registered
If a birth occurred in Scotland, it may be registered at any of the registration offices in East Ayrshire.
If a birth occurred in any other country but the parents live in Scotland, the birth would have to be registered in the country of occurrence.
Making an appointment
All registration offices in East Ayrshire operate an appointment system. Please contact us.
Registering the birth
A child's mother or father/parent has a duty to register the birth (if married to each other). In the case of the death or inability of the mother or father/parent the following persons can register the birth:
- Any relative of the mother or father/parent, if he or she is married to or in a civil partnership with the mother, being a relative who has knowledge of the birth;
- The occupier of the premises in which the child was, to the knowledge of that occupier, born;
- Any person present at the birth;
- Any person having charge of the child.
A father who is not married to the mother can only register the birth and be named in the register as the father if:
- He jointly signs the register with the mother;
- He and the mother sign declarations (these are available from the registrar) that he is the father; or
- A court declares that he is the father and the mother registers the birth.
A woman who is not married to, or in a civil partnership with the mother, can only register the birth and be named in the register as parent if the provisions of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act 2008 apply to them and:
- She jointly signs the register with the mother;
- She and the mother sign declarations (these are available from the registrar) that she is the parent; or
- A court declares that she is the parent and the mother registers the birth.
Please bring with you:
- the card issued by the hospital
- the marriage certificate of the child's parents
Do not worry if any of these documents are not available as the registrar can still proceed to register the birth.
Registration is free and an abbreviated extract of birth is also given free at the time of registration. A full certificate purchased at the time of registration or within one month of registration will cost £10.00. Any certificate outwith one month of registration will cost £15.00.
Our Registration Offices cannot take cash payments. We can accept payment by debit/credit card or cheque.
There are special forms available from the Registrar. You must have it signed and witnessed by a Justice of the Peace before it is accepted by the Registrar.
A naming ceremony is a very special way of celebrating the birth of your child as well as welcoming the new arrival into the family and the wider community.
Most popular names in East Ayrshire
Find out the most popular forenames given to children in East Ayrshire.