We are committed to developing today's promising athletes who have the potential to become tomorrow's sporting heroes.
As part of our charter for the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow 2014, the Council and Sports Council are offering athletes residing within East Ayrshire a package of support to help them reach their full potential in their chosen sport.
East Ayrshire Council and the Sports Council recognise the enormous effort and substantial personal cost that resident sportspersons commit to attain international and national success in their chosen sport.
If an athlete is successful in their application to the Talented Athlete Support Programme they will be invited to the Annual East Ayrshire Sports Council and Talented Athlete Awards Evening which is in November every year.
As a form of recognition and assistance, individuals are invited to apply to one of East Ayrshire's three strands of Athlete Support:
Developing potential criteria
The criteria for developing potential is:
- Participation in a sport recognised by SportScotland
- British senior internationalist – representing Great Britain at a recognised international event
- British senior medallist at the sport’s recognised British Championships
- British junior internationalist – representing Great Britain at a junior level at a recognised international event
- British junior medallist at the sport’s recognised British Championships
- Scottish senior internationalist – representing Scotland at a senior level at a recognised international event
- Scottish junior internationalist – representing Scotland at a junior level at a recognised international event
- Age Group internationalist – representing Scotland or Great Britain at recognised international championships (European or World Masters)
- Scottish Champion at Senior or Junior level at the sport’s recognised Scottish Championships
- Full member of Scottish national squad at Junior or Senior level
Developing potential support
Successful applicants will receive an East Ayrshire Talented Athlete Card offering membership to their nearest East Ayrshire Leisure facility (including the Galleon Centre, Kilmarnock and Visions, Cumnock) for 12 months.
Apply for developing potential
Complete a developing potential application form.
Amateur Sportspersons who have been selected to the official training squads for:
- upcoming Commonwealth Games
- upcoming Winter Olympics and Paralympic Games
- upcoming Olympic Games and Paralympic Games
Or, in special circumstances, those whose selection to one of the above squads is deemed to be imminent as identified by appropriate GB/Scottish squad coach or representative.
Or, those included in a GB team or squad to compete at an official INAS-FID international sporting event.
Successful candidates will receive a one off sum of £1,000 and an East Ayrshire Talented Athlete Card offering membership to their nearest East Ayrshire Leisure facility (including the Galleon Centre, Kilmarnock and Visions, Cumnock).
Apply for podium potential
Applications will open 2024 for the upcoming Paris Olympics & Paralympics
Special olympic fund
Special olympic criteria
Amateur Sportsperson who has been selected to participate in an International, National or Regional Special Olympics event such as:
- upcoming Special Olympics
- upcoming Special Olympics World Games
Special olympic support
A fund to support local Special Olympians has been established by us which will give our local talented athletes the recognition they deserve.
Athletes who have the potential to participate at a National and Regional Special Olympic events are also encouraged to apply for funding.
Apply for special olympic fund
Complete a special olympic fund application form.
Watch a video about the talented athlete support programme