At an Initial Child Protection Conference, one of the things that will be considered is whether or not your child’s name should be placed on the Child Protection Register. The Child Protection Register is held by Social Work Services. It is a way of identifying children for whom there are serious concerns about their safety, although it has no legal status.

Where there are reasonable grounds to believe or suspect that your child has suffered or will suffer significant harm from abuse or neglect, and that a Child Protection Plan is needed to protect and support them, their details will be placed on the Child Protection Register.

Access to the Child Protection Register is strictly controlled. However, information will be shared with other agencies involved with you and your child, such as health, education, nurseries etc. Information shared is strictly on a ‘need to know’ basis.

If your child’s name is placed on the Child Protection Register, a Child Protection Plan will be agreed. The plan sets out what needs to be done to reduce the risk of future harm and offers support to you and your child. The plan will be managed by a small group known as the Core Group and you will be involved. You will be given more information about this. After three months, there will be a review of the decision to place your child’s name on the register.

If your child’s name is not placed on the Child Protection Register but you need help or support in the care of your child, this can be arranged.

Contact Information

Social Services (Kilmarnock)
The Johnnie Walker Bond
15 Strand Street
East Ayrshire
Telephone: 01563 554200
Social Services (Cumnock)
Rothesay House
1 Greenholm Road
East Ayrshire
KA18 1LH
Telephone: 01290 427720
Social Work: Ayrshire Urgent Care Service
Tel: 0800 328 7758
Note: The Emergency Out Of Hours Social Work Service is available after 5pm until 9am, Monday to Thursday and after 4pm on Friday until 9am on Monday (throughout the weekend). It is also available during public holidays. You will be put through to the Ayrshire Social Work out of Hours Response Service. A qualified Social Worker will assess the circumstances referred.

Drag your contacts in here.