Skip to content

A mutual exchange is where two or more tenants have agreed to swap houses.

Tenants can exchange their home with:

  • another council tenant
  • a tenant of another local authority or housing association

Tenants can try to find a suitable tenant to exchange with using different methods:

  • create an account on HomeSwapper through the online East Ayrshire Housing Register
  • place an advert in a local shop or in the shops in the area they want to move to
  • speak to their Neighbourhood Coach to see if they know of anyone who would suit your criteria

How to apply

Once a tenant has found someone to swap with, they both need to fill in a mutual exchange application form (PDF 298Kb) and return it to their neighbourhood housing office.

What happens next

A housing officer will visit the tenant's home to check that it is in a satisfactory condition. They will check the tenant has a clear rent account and a satisfactory tenancy report. The same information will be requested from the other tenant.

If the exchange is approved, both tenants will receive official permission to swap homes on a specific date and will need to sign a new tenancy agreement for their new houses.

The process should take no longer than one month.

An application could be refused under the following circumstances, if either tenant:

  • has allowed the condition of their home to deteriorate
  • owes more than one month's rent
  • is worsening their housing condition either by overcrowding or under-occupancy
  • does not have a satisfactory tenancy record

Contact Information

Housing: Cumnock and Doon Valley
1 Greenholm Road
East Ayrshire
KA18 1LH
Telephone:01563 554400
Housing: Irvine Valley and Kilmarnock South
Opera House
8 John Finnie Street
Telephone: 01563 554400


Housing: Kilmarnock North and Central
Opera House
8 John Finnie Street
Telephone: 01563 554400