Skip to content

Elder abuse has been defined as:

'A single or repeated act or lack of appropriate action, occurring within any relationship where there is an expectation of trust, which causes harm or distress to an older person'.

Elder abuse can take place in:

  • someone’s own home
  • a carer’s home
  • day care
  • residential care
  • a nursing home
  • hospital

The abuser is usually well known to the person being abused and may be:

  • a partner, child or relative
  • a friend or neighbour
  • a paid or volunteer care worker
  • a health or social worker,
    or other professional
  • a carer

If you think you or a relative or someone you care for is a victim of elder abuse, please contact your local Social Work office using the contact details below. 

Contact Information


Social Services (Cumnock)
Rothesay House
1 Greenholm Road
East Ayrshire
KA18 1LH
Telephone: 01290 427720
Social Services (Dalmellington)
33 Main Street
East Ayrshire
Telephone: 01292 552900
Social Services (Kilmarnock)
The Johnnie Walker Bond
15 Strand Street
East Ayrshire
Telephone: 01563 554200