Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates

What happens next

Councils, health and police staff, amongst others, have a duty to work together to protect adults at risk.

Councils have a duty to investigate cases where harm is known or suspected. Council officers have powers to visit and interview people, to arrange medical examinations and to examine records.

They must also consider whether there is any need for advocacy and other services, such as help with medication, or support services.


Social Work Services are responsible for co-ordinating Adult Protection procedures and all referrals received by an agency will be passed to them. This means that every referral will be treated the same way, that timescales are adhered to and that an informed decision can be made in each case as to the most appropriate agency, or combination of agencies, to undertake any investigation.

A referral could be made by a member of the public, a friend or neighbour, a relative or someone working within a care home, someone working for the council or health board, the police or someone else.

Contact Information

Social Services (Kilmarnock)
The Johnnie Walker Bond
15 Strand Street
East Ayrshire
Telephone: 01563 554200
Social Services (Cumnock)
Rothesay House
1 Greenholm Road
East Ayrshire
KA18 1LH
Telephone: 01290 427720