Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates

Skip permit

Skip Permit
Licence summary

Skips placed on any public road, footway or footpath in East Ayrshire require a skip license in accordance with the Roads (Scotland) Act 1984 (Section 85). It is the responsibility of the skip owner or company providing the skip to obtain this license.

Any skips placed on the road prior to obtaining a license or after a valid license has expired are placed illegally and subject to a fixed penalty.

All skip licenses issued by East Ayrshire Council have a maximum duration of 4 calendar weeks. Should you wish to extend this period then a new license application must be made.

A skip must be clearly marked with the owner's name and address or telephone number. You must comply with any conditions attached to the license as set out by East Ayrshire Council.

Eligibility Criteria

No provision in legislation

Regulation Summary

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence - Roads (Scotland) Act 1984 (Section 85).

Application Evaluation Process

No provision in legislation

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the local authority must process your application before it can be granted. Applying for a skip license does not give authority to place a skip in the public road, footway or footpath unless the application is approved by East Ayrshire Council. If you have not heard from East Ayrshire Council within a reasonable period (e.g. after 3 full working days since you submitted your application), please contact the Roads and Transportation Service on 01563 576310. You can also do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service.

Apply online

Apply to place a skip in the road

Failed Application Redress

Please contact your local authority in the first instance.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact your local authority in the first instance.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, WWW.GOV.UK will give you sources of advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

E.g. about noise, pollution, etc. Please contact your local authority in the first instance.

Trade Associations

Scottish Building Federation

Scottish Master Wrights and Builders Association (SMWBA)

EUGO Portal