Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates

Portable Traffic Signal Licence

Portable Traffic Signal License Information
Licence summary

Should you wish to use portable traffic signals on any public road (including within any junction with a public road), footway or footpath in East Ayrshire then you require a portable traffic signals permit in accordance with the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991, Section 115 and Safety at Street Works and Road Works - A Code of Practice.

It is the responsibility of the owner or company providing the portable traffic signals to obtain this permit.

All portable traffic signal licences issued by East Ayrshire Council have a maximum duration of 4 calendar weeks. Should you wish to extend this period then a new licence application must be made.

You must comply with any conditions or requirements attached to a licence as set out by East Ayrshire Council.

Be aware that a site meeting may be required with an East Ayrshire Council Officer or Technician before approval is granted.

Eligibility Criteria

No provision in legislation

Regulation Summary

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence - New Roads and Street Works Act 1991

Application Evaluation Process

Conditions may be attached to a consent and a site meeting may be required.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the local authority must process your application before it can be granted. Applying for a portable traffic signal licence does not give authority to use such signals in the public road (including junctions with public roads), footway or footpath unless the application is approved by East Ayrshire Council. If you have not heard from East Ayrshire Council within a reasonable period (e.g. after 7 full working days since you submitted your application), please contact the Roads and Transportation Service on 01563 576310. You can also do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service

Apply online

Apply for a portable traffic signal licence online.

Failed Application Redress

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, WWW.GOV.UK will give you sources of advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

E.g. about noise, pollution, etc. Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

Trade Associations

Scottish Building Federation (SBF)

Scottish Master Wrights and Builders Association (SMWBA)

EUGO Portal