What is Mauchline CARS?
Mauchline Conservation Area Regeneration Scheme, (CARS) is a heritage - led regeneration scheme for Mauchline which will run until March 2024.
The scheme is funded by Historic Environment Scotland and East Ayrshire Council and will provide property owners, within the Mauchline Conservation Area, with the opportunity to apply for grant funding for building repairs, re-instatement of architectural detail and shop front improvements.
What is the aim of Mauchline CARS?
The aim of the scheme is to maximise and sustain the economic potential of Mauchline’s Culture and Heritage assets through:
- The restoration and repair of six key historic buildings bringing them, where necessary, back into productive and sustainable use.
- A Small Grants Scheme to enable and encourage private owners to carry out urgent repairs on traditional and older properties.
- A Small Grants Scheme for Shop Front Improvements
- Public Realm Works
- An Education and Training Programme for those involved or wishing to be involved in the Traditional Construction Industry
- A programme of Community Participation and Learning to increase people’s understanding and appreciation of heritage
What are the principles behind the scheme?
The general principles behind the CARS scheme are:
- To adopt proven traditional building techniques based on analysis of the causes of defects and an understanding of the historic development of the building
- To avoid unnecessary damage and avoid replacement of sound historic fabric
- Restore architectural detail and heritage features based on appropriate evidence
- Safeguard the future of the building with regular maintenance
What grants are available?
- Large Building Repair Grants of up to 90% of eligible costs for Priority Building Projects.
- Small Building Repair and Shopfront Improvement Grants for properties within the main commercial areas of Loudon Street, Earl Grey Street and Kilmarnock Road – grant rate 75% of eligible costs, up to a max. of £25,000.
- Small Grants for the Re-instatement of Architectural Detail – grant rate 75% of eligible costs up to a max of £15,000
What work is eligible?
Historic Building Repairs – Structural and external repairs to historic buildings including repairs to roofs, masonry, external doors and windows
Re-instatement of Architectural Detail – This may include ornamental metal work, decorative tiling or timber or stone details where the building is otherwise in good condition or will be repaired as part of the project.
Shopfront Improvements – Where works restore or contribute positively to the built heritage of the Conservation Area
What work is excluded?
- Routine maintenance and other minor repairs.
- Alterations, extensions and internal work
- Demolition of historic fabric
- Upgrading and renewal of services, including underground drainage
- Stone cleaning and other similar treatments
- Works underway prior to approval of grant
Conditions of Grant
Grants will be awarded in compliance with the terms and conditions set by the funding bodies.
Who can apply?
Six priority projects have been identified and will be the focus for funding but this will not exclude applications for works to other buildings. Building owners of properties within the Mauchline CARS boundary can apply for funding and will be assessed on a range of criteria including listing, heritage value, prominence and/or impact on the CARS area, level of repair required and potential re-use of historic floor space.
How to apply
Contact the Mauchline CARS Officer for initial advice. You can also express an interest here. An application pack providing important information on eligibility criteria, documentation required and the application process will be available shortly
Keep in touch
If you'd like to be kept up to date with news and progress updates about Mauchline CARS sign up for our targeted email bulletins with our StayConnected service and tick the box for Mauchline CARS. We won't spam you or share your details with anyone and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Mauchline CARS background - the story so far
Mauchline CARS Steering Group celebrate the launch of the Mauchline scheme
Mauchline CARS background
In November 2018 we submitted an application for funding from Historic Environment Scotland's Conservation Area Regeneration Scheme (CARS) for funding for a number of projects in Mauchline's historic heart.
The Mauchline CARS will help building owners with grants to conserve and repair historically important buildings using sympathetic materials and methods, making them fit for purpose in the 21st Century.
It will help fund:
- historic fabric repairs for priority projects
- a small grant schemes for multiple properties, including building repairs and shopfront improvements
- a wide range of community activities, potentially including an ‘Artist in Residence’
- training for professional craftspeople, construction workers and the wider community
- public realm conservation and restoration
The CARS funding comes in part from Historic Environment Scotland and East Ayrshire Council, with a contribution from owner of the premises themselves.
In March 2019 the bid succeeded. Read our press release about the bid.