This year saw 71 athletes being supported through the Talented Athlete Support Programme, the most ever to have been awarded Developing Potential and Podium Potential support. All athletes are either National or International Champions, or represent their country in their chosen sport.
Councillor Elena Whitham, Cabinet Member for Housing and Communities and Vice-Chair of the East Ayrshire Sports Council said: “With so many athletes being supported, it really does demonstrate that East Ayrshire has produced and will continue to produce top class athletes through their hard work, determination and commitment.
“The East Ayrshire Sports Council Awards also recognise the achievements of club coaches and their volunteers and without them the profile of sport in East Ayrshire would not be where it is today.”
In addition to personal recognition certificates, the main awards were presented to:
- Disabled Sports Person of the Year 2018 – Shane Robinson
- Jim Higgins Youth Sport Personality of the Year 2018 – Louise Gallagher
- SALSC Service to Sport 2018 – William Gilroy
- Individual Performance of the Year 2018 – Claire Johnston
- Team Performance of the Year 2018 – Kilmarnock Acrobatic Gymnastic Club (Simona Marinov, Lucy Glendenning and Keira McManus)
- Inspiring Females in Sport Award 2018 – Destany Robertson
- East Ayrshire Sports Council Club of the Year 2018 – Cumnock Juniors Community Enterprise
Joan O’Sullivan, Chair of East Ayrshire Sports Council added: “This has been another inspiring event and I am incredibly proud of how much success our athletes gain and bring back to East Ayrshire.
“For a small area we really do have some amazing talented athletes, clubs and volunteers who all ensure that sport in East Ayrshire is thriving.”
For more information about the Talented Athlete Support Programme or the East Ayrshire Sports Council, please contact Adam Strain at email@example.com