Skip to content

Anyone wishing to occupy a public road, footway or footpath through use of a street cafe must obtain a road occupation permit before doing so.

Under Section 58.1 of the Roads Scotland Act 1984, any person who, without the permission of the local roads authority, occupies the public road, footway or footpath by depositing materials there will be deemed to be committing an offence. As such, they are liable to be issued with a fixed penalty notice by the Council's Roads and Transportation Service.

For the current cost of a road occupation permit, please contact us on the number below.

You can apply for a road occupation permit in the following ways:

  • Phone us on the number below
  • In person at our Council offices
  • Email us at the address shown below
  • Download the application form from online forms

Please be aware of the following:

  • A road occupation permit can take up to three working days to be processed. Please make sure that any work related to the permit is planned accordingly
  • Any road occupation permit is subject to conditions as set out by our Roads and Transportation Service
  • Should your application for a road occupation permit be rejected, the cost of the application is non-refundable

Contact Information


Ayrshire Roads Alliance
Opera House
8 John Finnie Street
Telephone: 01563 503160


Roads Service Permits
Telephone: 01563 576310