The Ayrshire Hearing Impairment Service supports the needs of hearing impaired children and their families from diagnosis until school leaving age.
Our Teachers of the Deaf (ToDs) and our Sign-Language Assistant visit children at home and in educational establishments throughout North, South and East Ayrshire.
Teacher of the deaf
A ToD is a qualified and experienced Primary/Secondary teacher who holds an additional qualification in teaching children with a hearing impairment. They have specific skills and specialist knowledge about deafness. Teachers of the Deaf continually update their own skills and knowledge and keep abreast with ‘A Curriculum for Excellence’ and all mainstream initiatives.
ToDs understand the impact of a hearing loss. We can:
- help you, and your extended family, to learn about your child’s hearing loss
- explain your child’s hospital audiograms and reports
- advise you on how you can best support the language development of your child
- introduce you to other parents and offer you additional information about other services in your area
- listen to you, your thoughts and ideas
Supporting your child
ToDs work with children from diagnosis and throughout their school life. We can:
- help your child understand their hearing loss and develop a positive and healthy attitude towards deafness
- support your child’s independence in using and maintaining their hearing aids and other equipment
- provide opportunities for your child to meet and enjoy the company of other children with a hearing loss
ToDs know and understand the teaching strategies which best support a deaf child. We can:
- provide in-service training to nurseries and schools to help them understand your child and their hearing loss
- advise school staff on suitable teaching strategies and resources
- ensure staff know how to provide good listening conditions for a deaf child
- liaise, plan and prepare lessons/resources for your child to support their learning
- attend review meetings and provide reports on your child’s progress
For more information on support for learning visit the Ayrshire Hearing Impairment Service on Glow Scotland.
Learn British Sign Language on our YouTube channel
You can learn British Sign Language (BSL) for many different topics on the Ayrshire Hearing Impairment Service's YouTube channel.
You can also view the BSL videos by playlist.
Deaf awareness week
As part of Deaf Awareness Week, the Ayrshire Hearing Impairment Service created British Sign Language (BSL) videos to raise awareness and learn BSL.
Visit our Deaf Awareness Week Playlist on YouTube to watch more videos.
Sensory impairment service
The Sensory Impairment Service offers a range of supports to people who have a hearing or visual impairment. We will accept referrals from you, a family member, your optician or a health/social care professional.
Visual impairment team
The Visual Impairment Team provides support for children and young people from birth to 18 years with a wide range of visual impairments which impacts on day to day living and access to the curriculum.