Our Early Learning and Childcare Service supports the vision, aims and objectives of the Scottish Government in the development and sustainability of high quality, integrated services that give children and young people the opportunity to have the best possible start in life.
We aim to:
- provide services for vulnerable children under three years and their families
- secure a pre-school education place for all children aged 3-5 years whose parents wish places, in partnership with pre-school education providers
- help voluntary Early Learning and Childcare Services to become more sustainable
- support the Early Learning and Childcare workforce to gain qualifications for registration with the Scottish Social Services Council
- work in partnership with North Ayrshire and South Ayrshire councils to provide information to the public on childcare and recreation services
Positive Starts: East Ayrshire's response to the Early Years Framework
In December 2008 the Scottish Government published The Early Years Framework following the launch of the joint Scottish Government and COSLA Policy Statement 'Early Years and Early Intervention' (March 2008).
The Early Years Framework aims to target the early years to improve the life chances of Scotland’s children and tackle inequalities. It requires all services and agencies to re-design their services and, where appropriate, improve services to children and families. It tries to take away the bureaucracy and any duplication in services and build capacity within communities to support children and families.
The Early Years Framework is also set within the context of the Scottish Government’s 'Equally Well' report, which tackles health inequalities and 'Achieving Our Potential', which tackles poverty and income inequalities.
Community Planning Partners focus their priorities on the four key elements of transformational change:
- helping children, families and communities to secure outcomes for themselves
- using the strength of universal services to deliver prevention and early intervention
- simplifying and streamlining delivery
- collaborative approaches
The context for moving forward will be 'Getting It Right For Every Child', which is about ensuring that agencies increasingly work towards One Child, One Assessment, One Plan. Progress is already being made through the roll-out of an Integrated Assessment Framework.
The best start in life in East Ayrshire
In partnership with NHS Ayrshire and Arran and the Council of Voluntary Organisations (East Ayrshire) Ltd we seek to ‘Give the Best Start in Life’ to our children and their families in their early years now and into the future.
Download our best start in life (pre birth to eight) booklet to find out more about our priorities.