Caring kind connected logoFrequently asked questions on housing services affected by coronavirus (COVID-19)

How do I pay my rent?

You can still make payments towards your rent by calling 01563 554400 or making a payment online or at a PayPoint. You can also set up a Direct Debit or Standing Order if you prefer. Please call the above number for further information.

If you are worried about paying your rent, you should contact your Neighbourhood Coach who can discuss various options such as payment plans.

You can also start the process of applying for Universal Credit online or contact our Universal Credit support team for assistance on 01563 503280.  

How do I contact my neighbourhood coach?

Your neighbourhood coach’s contact details is on all correspondence sent to you. If you don't have a direct number please contact our Customer Contact Team on 01563 554400.

What if I am homeless or about to become homeless?

We have a legal duty to help people who are homeless. Even if you think you might have problems in the future, get in touch with us now - we may be able to help prevent you becoming homeless.

If you are homeless or worried about losing your home, contact our Housing Options office for advice and assistance on 01563 554400 or textphone on 01563 576167 or email

If outwith office hours and you are homeless please contact the 24-hour helpline on 0345 724 0000. If you cannot get to a phone, please visit St Andrews Court Hostel, Kilmarnock.

What will happen with my housing application?

Housing applications are being processed as normal and the allocation of council tenancies has resumed.

How do I terminate my existing tenancy and hand in keys?

From 20 March 2020 and until further notice, you will be no longer be able to hand in the keys for your home at any Council Offices during or at the end of the 28 days notice period required to terminate your tenancy.

Additionally, all pre-termination property inspections are being temporarily suspended. We will take possession of your home the day after your tenancy ends by forcing entry and changing the locks unless you advise us otherwise.

You will remain liable for the rent up to the date of termination. If you are unsure of your rent account reference number or if you have an outstanding balance, please contact your Neighbourhood Coach or contact us by phoning  01563 554400.

It is very important that you contact us if your circumstances have changed and you do want to terminate your tenancy or if you think that you will be unable to move home by your pre-arranged  termination date.

What do I do if I am experiencing anti-social behaviour (ASB)?

Record incidents with date, time and short narrative of incident. If the Incident is ongoing and causing you to be in a state of fear and alarm you must phone Police Scotland on 101 (non emergency) or 999 (emergencies only). 

Will visits be carried out to investigate matters of ASB?

ASB officers are not completing home visits. If you need to get in touch please complete our online contact us form. Please ensure that you include full contact details and the relevant officer will be in touch as soon as possible. 

What will happen with my complaint?

Your complaint will be recorded and dealt with as per our ASB policy, any action at this time will be limited until further notice.

Complaints of dog barking, access/boundary disputes, are not dealt with via ASB policy and as such must be reported to the relevant service. 

Please also be aware that phoning the Police and requesting attendance for non-emergency calls could expose you or officers to coronavirus (COVID-19) unnecessarily

Information for private sector landlords

We continue to send emails to landlords in East Ayrshire with any Scottish Government updates and help available to both landlord and tenants in relation to coronavirus (COVID-19).

It is important that you encourage your tenants to contact you as soon as possible if they are in, or think they will be, in financial difficulty and unable to pay their rent.

Tenants affected by coronavirus (COVID-19) who are concerned about paying their rent can claim Universal Credit from the Department for Work and Pensions which includes support for housing costs, if eligible. The UK Government has introduced some temporary changes to make this easier. 

If a tenant is getting Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, but still can't afford their housing costs, they may be eligible for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP). Further information can be found by visiting

Further support is available for people on low incomes from the Scottish Welfare Fund if facing an emergency situation.

Visit the financial help page for more information.

Information for Gypsy/Travellers

For any Gypsy Traveller related enquires please contact:

Margo Macmillan (Gypsy Traveller Integration and Engagement Officer)
Tel: 07769 367065

Contact Information

Council Headquarters
London Road
East Ayrshire
Contact us online:
Save time, do it online:
Telephone: 01563 554400
Textphone: 01563 576167
24 Hour Emergency Helpline: 0345 724 0000 (local rate)

Drag your contacts in here.