Brexit transition

There are new rules for businesses and citizens from 1 January 2021. Your business, family and personal circumstances may be affected.

Make sure you're ready.

More information.


Prepare your business for Brexit

Scotland’s enterprise and skills agencies are urging all businesses in Scotland to continue to actively prepare for changes taking place from 1 January 2021 following the EU transition (Brexit) period.  The trading relationship between the United Kingdom and the rest of the EU changed when the UK voted to end its participation in the EU’s Single Market and Customs Union. 

There are two potential outcomes when the transition phase ends. The UK will either leave the EU with a deal, or without. The deadline for this decision is 31 December 2020, and no matter the outcome, the changes are likely to impact businesses.  

Businesses should act now to identify what the shifts mean for their operations before making the changes to systems, processes, staffing and potentially business models.  

Up-to-date advice and guidance and support on these changes and how to prepare can be accessed via  Prepare your business for Brexit - advice for businesses in Scotland.

The UK Home Office has prepared some helpful resources for businesses looking to potentially hire staff from the EU from January 2021.  

Staying in Scotland after Brexit

Following decisions by the UK Government, the UK has now left the EU. EU citizens living in Scotland will need to apply to the UK Government’s EU Settlement Scheme in order to continue living, working and studying in the UK. To help guide you through the steps you need to take to stay, the Scottish Government has produced a package of support at

An advice service is available for all citizens living in Scotland affected by the UK Government’s EU Settlement Scheme who may need additional information and support. For more information please call the Citizens Advice Scotland freephone national helpline on 0800 916 9847 or visit

Scottish Government

The UK and Scottish Governments have published advice and guidance to help individual citizens and businesses prepare for leaving the European Union (EU). Please follow the links to the external websites below.

HM Government

Prepare for EU Exit - UK Government advice for businesses and individuals


Home Office

East Ayrshire Council

East Ayrshire Council is one of the local authorities supporting EU, EEA and Swiss citizens to complete the ID verification part of the process. Find out more about the European Union Settlement Scheme.

Contact Information

Council Headquarters
London Road
East Ayrshire
Contact us online:
Save time, do it online:
Telephone: 01563 554400
Textphone: 01563 576167
24 Hour Emergency Helpline: 0345 724 0000 (local rate)

Drag your contacts in here.