If your circumstances change you must inform us immediately in writing.
If you are receive state benefits, you must also tell the Department for Work and Pensions.
Typical examples of changes in circumstances are as follows:
- If you change address
- If your rent changes (Housing Benefit only - but not if you are a council tenant)
- If the number of people living with you changes
- If your income or the income of any other member of your household changes
- If you stop getting Income Support, Income based Jobseeker’s Allowance or Employment Support Allowance
- If your income or savings change
If you delay in advising us about a change in your circumstances you will have to repay any benefits we overpay you. For more information see the Overpayments web page.
If you are not sure, tell us anyway!