Each Administration Cabinet Member will have a specific area of responsibility for Council business with the aim of ensuring greater political accountability for the decisions taken by the Cabinet.
These Cabinet Members are politically accountable for service standards and service performance both in terms of direct service delivery and in terms of the contribution of individual services to the strategic priorities of the Community Plan, the Council's corporate plan. Cabinet Members are not responsible for service management.
The Cabinet Members also have a specific role as advocates for their service groups. In this capacity Cabinet Members will seek to ensure that relevant service needs and service views are taken into account in Cabinet decisions particularly where these relate to Community Plan priorities and strategies.
Cabinet Members will:
- meet on a regular basis with senior management, with a view to discussing service issues including service performance
- seek to resolve concerns regarding service delivery with service management
- lead on service issues at Cabinet and Council meetings
- lead on service reports at Governance and Scrutiny Committee
- attend Governance and Scrutiny Committees in respect of related called-in decisions to respond to questions and explain Cabinet proposals
Further information on Cabinet Members and their remits can be found on the extract from the Scheme of Delegation