Participatory Budgeting (PB) gives local people the opportunity to decide where public money is spent in their communities. We work in conjunction with Community Led Action Plan steering groups and other community representatives to arrange, publicise and run events attended by members of the local community, who then vote on which projects should receive an award.
There are generally two types of event format. These are:
1. Presentation format - those requesting funding deliver a short three minute presentation and the community then votes. Please note that eligible voters must register at the event prior to the presentations starting and stay for all the presentations for their votes to count.
2. Marketplace - those requesting funding display information about their project or idea and once you have visited all the stalls you can vote. Eligible voters do not need to stay for the duration of the event.
Vibrant Communities is supporting a number of PB events during 2018. These include:
Community led action plan areas
East Ayrshire Health and Social Care Partnership
- Ward 6 Irvine Valley (Darvel, Galston, Newmilns) Voting event - 15 March 2018. Download a list of successful projects for the Irvine Valley
- Ward 1 Annick (Dunlop, Fenwick, Kilmaurs, Moscow, Stewarton, Waterside) Voting event - 17 March 2018. Download a list of successful projects for Annick
- Southern Locality (Cumnock & Doon Valley) 25 March 2018 Download a list of successful projects for Southern Locality
- Kilmarnock Locality (Crosshouse, Gatehead, Hurlford, Kilmarnock, Knockentiber) Voting event - 29 March 2018 Download a list of successful projects for Kilmarnock Area
Vibrant Communities supported 12 East Ayrshire communities to hold participatory budgeting events during 2017.
Each community had up to £10,000 to award to groups and individuals with an idea for a project which will benefit the local community. Funding was provided by the Scottish Government’s Community Choices Fund, East Ayrshire Council and East Ayrshire Health and Social Care Partnership. Each event had a presentation or marketplace format.
List of successful projects
Two PB events were held in June 2016, with funding provided by the Scottish Government and East Ayrshire Health and Social Care Partnership. The ‘You Decide - Mauchline Matters’ and ‘You Decide - Valley Ventures’ (Darvel/Newmilns) events gave local people the opportunity to choose which community groups received money for projects in their areas. A list of successful groups for each event are: Mauchline Matters and Valley Ventures.
As these were the first PB events to take place in East Ayrshire both were filmed, along with PB events in North Ayrshire and South Ayrshire.
For further information on PB please see our Frequently Asked Questions and further information on Participatory Budgeting can be found on the PB Scotland website and the PB Network website