We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. About cookies we use.

Skip permits

The Transport Scotland Act 2005 states that skips placed on any public road require a skip permit. It is the responsibility of the skip owner or company providing the skip to obtain this permit, and pay the permit fee. Permits can be obtained from the Roads and Transportation Service prior to placement.

Any skips placed on the road prior to obtaining the permit or after a valid permit has expired are placed illegally and will be subject to a fixed penalty.

Applications for skip permits must be received and paid for in full a minimum of three working days before the skip is to be placed on the public carriageway.

There are three ways to apply for a skip permit:

  • By phone - on the number listed below
  • In person - application forms are available from our Council offices, The Johnnie Walker Bond, 15 Strand Street, Kilmarnock, KA1 1HU
  • By email - to the email address listed below

You can download a skip permit application form from the Online Forms menu on the right.


Contact Information

Roads Service Permits
Telephone: 01563 576310
Page last updated on20 October 2011
  • Skip
  • permit
  • builder
  • waste
  • recycling